Re: Internet vs. publishing, was, Re: BioMed Central Authors to retain copyright

I think that I and Shirley do not disagree very much. For articles in STM
journals, it is "vital to protect the expression of the authors
research"--not just from others who would reprint it under their own
names, because dishonesty in the academic world usually takes subtler
forms than that, but from forces that hinder its dissemination. Many have
suggested on this list and elsewhere that the best way of doing this is
for authors to retain the copyright, giving journal publishers a license
to publish the article in their journal.

There are, by the way, absolutely no STM publishers I know of that pay
royalties on journal articles. I am glad to hear there are exceptions,
even rare exceptions, in other fields.

David Goodman
Biology Librarian, and
Co-Chair, Electronic Journals Task Force
Princeton University Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu         http://www.princeton.edu/~biolib/
phone: 609-258-3235            fax: 609-258-2627