Re: Online services to contiguous research parts

Although the symbiosis of business and "the academy" has been growing in
the last number of years, this- regardless if the business is directly
associated with the instititution- is an old ghost in a new and "sexier"
outfit. It is more of a problem now for new technology has made the
library more appealing and apparent to business.

Yes, businesses, be they associated or otherwise, can use print indexes,
journals etc. at no cost, just as our own students and faculty. But the
publisher factors in use when it establishes the institutional rate for
subscriptions.

But it's sometimes a long and tedious trip to the library, so many firms
have developed their own resource centre, and budget it as a business
cost. The problem academic libraries have with cost recovery is twofold.
1. We don't really like cost recovery. It rubs our librarian souls the
wrong way; and 2. we charge the user and not the use. We charge businesses
for services our faculty, doing a similar contract, get for free. Our
buddies in business charge for use i.e. publishers have academic and
commerical rates, StatsCanada who administers the Data Liberation
Initiative(DLI) disallows commerical activity of the product regardless of
the user be it faculty or community.

So, perhaps should we.

Laura R. Syms
University College of Cape Breton