Re: Unresponsive information providers

Like you, I have difficulties in having a timely and "routine" (ha!)
procedure for adding titles which require a license agreement.  Recently,
I have had more problems getting someone identified at a company who has
the authority to negotiate.  I have viewed that as related to the mixups
involved in mergers and acquisitions.  Then, yes, a whole series of
back-and-forth calls, mostly forth (on my part) to try to keep it moving.
Since I make it clear up front they will get no payment until I have all
signed copies in my hand, that has _sometimes_ proven an effective carrot.
But in some cases, just getting a verbal intent to starting service to a
title seems to equal a completed transaction in the minds of the company.
After getting that, some companies just seem to sit back and say "that's
done!"  Uh, folks, no it's not!  Some companies have turned on service
contrary to our wishes before I even started negotiating, but I won't send
the URL forward until I get that signed license agreement.

It sure would be nice to have some consistency and standardization, but I
guess this is still a fledgling situation.

Cynthia M. Coulter, Head
Acquisitions Department
Rod Library
University of Northern Iowa