Re: digest 388

At Berkeley there isn't any way I could get a lawyer to review all our
licenses; we have about 100 of them we've signed in the last 3 years.
But what I've found, having reviewed all of them, is that there is a
pretty standard set of issues to look out for (e.g., indemnification,
state of jurisdiction, use limitations, etc.).  The University has
specific policies on many of these issues, with required language.  In the
early days I sought advice from University legal and purchasing staff, as
well as those negotiating on behalf of the California Digital Library (UC
systemwide). I too took the ARL seminar and have on occasion used language
from Yale's standard license software.  After all this, I feel like I've
got a pretty good grounding in the legal basics, I've held my ground when
I felt University policy offered no room for compromise, and only had one
publisher (another university) walk away from a deal.  Some of these
licenses can be daunting at first, but after awhile you start to see the
patterns.

Mike Rancer
Library Chief Administrative Officer
University of California, Berkeley