Re: Sage titles

CatchWord supports the development and use of model licenses by the
industry, because we believe that it saves both publishers and librarians
time and money. It would seem to be one of the most contentious areas
holding up the deployment of electronic resources and yet one that can be
most easily addressed through the use of model licenses.

I would urge publishers and librarians who haven't already done so to
check out

http://www.licensingmodels.com/

to see how well (or otherwise) these standardised and boilerplated
licenses work for the community as a whole. Any feedback on these licenses
should be directed to John Cox Associates at John.E.Cox@btinternet.com

Licensingmodels.com is an initiative funded and organised by the
subscription agents collectively in order to specifically address some of
the issues raised by Carole Richter. Just one of those issues was
inter-library loan, and it might be useful to illustrate how the
licensingmodels initiative deals with this specific issue.

As far as interlibrary loan goes these model licenses offer three
alternative clauses to cover interlibrary loan. The example from the
Academic Consortia model license offers the publisher the choice of:-

SUPPLY OF COPIES TO OTHER LIBRARIES

4.1 [Members may, subject to clause 6 below, supply to an Authorised User
of another library {within the same country as the Consortium} (whether by
post, fax or secure transmission, using Ariel or its equivalent, whereby
the electronic file is deleted immediately after printing), for the
purposes of research or private study and not for Commercial Use, a single
paper copy of an electronic original of an individual document being part
of the Licensed Materials.]

Or

[Members may, subject to clause 6 below, supply to an Authorised User of
another library {within the same country as the Consortium}single copies
of an individual document being part of the Licensed Materials by post,
fax or electronic transmission via the Internet or otherwise, for the
purposes of r esearch or private study and not for Commercial Use.]

Or

[Notwithstanding the provisions of Clauses 3.1 and 3.3, it is understood
and agreed that neither the Consortium nor Members nor Authorised Users
may provide, by electronic means, to a user at another library a copy of
any part of the Licensed Materials for research or private study or
otherwise.]

The commentary on these clauses states:-

Three alternatives cover the issue of supplying copies to other libraries:

the first allows electronic files to be used to generate paper copies for
supply to other libraries. Note the optional limitation to the country in
which the Consortium and its Members are based; this should be included or
deleted as appropriate.

The second allows copies to be sent electronically as well as on paper.
The same optional limitation to the country of supply is in { } brackets
and should be included or deleted as appropriate.

The third prohibits the supply of copies to other libraries using the
electronic files under the License.

As I understand it these model licenses are in a process of continual
development and therefore if librarians or publishers regard these and the
other terms of these license boilerplates problematic, then the best
solution will be to let John Cox Associates know, so this feedback can be
incorporated into future versions of the model licenses.

For our part at CatchWord we encourage all the publishers we provide
electronic publishing services for to consider adopting these licenses in
order to make life simpler for everyone.

Chris Beckett
Director - Sales & Marketing
CatchWord Ltd

Tel:-  +44 (0) 1235 555877