Re: Elsevier Web Editions

Paula Watson of the University of Illinois writes:

Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 22:44:50 -0600 (CST)
From: watson paula d <pdwatson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Elsevier Web Editions

I have finally had faxed to me what someone in Elsevier tells me is their
"real" license agreement for access to Web Editions.  I believe there are
two versions on their web page that are not identical.

Two provisions of the agreement seem to be problematic.

1.  My sales rep.did e-mail me awhile back that we are expected not to
cancel duplicate subscriptions

Section 3.1 Fees states " the SDWE Service requires Subscriber to hold its
active subscriptions to the related titles; the electronic access to the
PDF versions of the subscribed titles will be made available to subscriber
at no additional charge"  "Related titles"  presumably means the print
titles related to the online versions.  This language seems to indicate
nothing about cancelling duplicates and implies that, if during the course
of the year's agreement, you found it necessary to cancel one of the
titles you would simply lose access to that title, but would continue to
have access to the PDF versions of all the others you subscribed to.

Are others reading this in the same way?

1.3. Usage restrictions

the restriction on "(iii) systematic supply or distribution in any form to
anyone other than the Authorized User"  seems to preclude sharing with a
colleague at another campus, posting on a faculty web-site, use for
e-reserves", etc.

Comments?

Given that the agreement is "not to exceed one year", can we assume that
this a strategy for getting our faculty hooked. ( Not to say, of course,
that they are not already clamoring for these titles online.)

Paula D. Watson
Director, Electronic Information Services
University of Illinois Library		      217 333-0318
1408 W. Gregory Dr. MC-522                    217 244-4358
Urbana, Illinois 61801			      pdwatson@uiuc.edu