Re: PubMed Central

I'm just answering about no. 1.

How do libraries guide patrons on what is quality controlled and what
isn't in the presently published literaure? Medicine is the most dramatic
case, with all the popular literature, some of it rational, some
deceptively rational-appearing, and some quite otherwise. Even in academic
medical journals, there are very variable standards. Peer-reviewed ins not
the panacea--some extremely high quality journals are not strictly
speaking peer reviewed, and some very low quality ones ....  Though I'm a
great fan of JCR for evaluating journals when used wisely, it's hardly
useful for evaluating individual articles (though I have heard such
proposals). Even among the better journals, one has to distinguish what's
no longer relevant or valid.

Other fields of study may not show such pressing problems, but they're
there. I buy creationist materials--the study of resistance to Darwinism
now and in the past is an academic speciality at this university. But I
certainly hope the biology freshmen don't cite them as if they were
science.

There is the more general question of guidance. In most academic settings
outside the largest research universities, the accessibility of the
relatively useless literature to undergraduates has been relatively low,
because the libraries bought only the major journals. At the largest
libraries, confusion among even sophisticated beginners is well
recognized--it leads to such programs as separate undergraduate libraries,
or extensive personal instruction. But with the widespread availability of
a much wider range of published literature, as well as unpublished
material, all of this is now dramatically changing.

The solution is not censorship, whether positive or negative, but
education, and the development of tools for use in evaluation and
education. I see the role for librarians (and others doing the same work)
as much expanding. But no, I have no immediate practical proposals except
a greater personal involvement of librarians and teachers.

David Goodman, Princeton University Biology Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu            609-258-3235