Re: Legal signatures ramifications

No doubt others are testing these same waters (various business/legal folks in
UTx System schools have been thinking about these issues for several years
now)....but, from a technology angle their are solutions.  "Information
security" and "digital rights managemment" needs are giving rise to new
product offerings in the marketplace.  All of us will likely need to learn
more about something called  Public Key Infrastructure (PKI).  A company
called Verisign (www.verisign.com) has been in the business of selling the
kinds of solutions you need to securely implement your contracts project.
Verisign's website provides good documentation and background on this.
Setting up a PKI is an important part of the emerging e-commerce craze and
would include methods of protecting the kind of information you refer to.

I'm also sending the url ( http://www.uth.tmc.edu/xorgs/utspki/  ) for a set
of pages created by Dr. Bill Weems (UT Health Science Center at Houston) that
provides an overview and links for background information and specifics on the
topic of implementing a PKI for use among Univ. of Texas System schools..

The basic idea is that various business/official entities have a need to share
sensitive/private/confidential information and wish to do so over the Web.
Since the Web is a very open environment these entities must take steps to
impose security.  This means using deploying special technologies that make
use of  encryption and "digital" signatures to protect information as it moves
through various routers and hosts on the net .  The way it would work is that
you would create a pdf file of your contract.  You would then "sign" that file
digitally (using a function built into Acrobat) and also lock that file.  The
file could then be sent (encrypted) to others.  Recipients would use the
senders public key to decrypt the

>From  my angle (head of Digital Library Services at UT Austin) we would like
to be able to use a PKI to provide access with the databases we license from
publishers.  Since validation by IP address is such a poor way to handle
authorization (for many reasons) we are looking for a method that would not
rely on something so easily stolen as an IP address.  The successful
implementation of a PKI would mean that our campus authorities had assigned
our users a digital identification "card"  that could be presented to vendor
systems and validated (through their PKI)  for access to databases.

Adobe's new product is called Adobe PDF Merchent - and they build PKI
concepts/techniques into their Digital Rights Management (DRM) product.

Anyway, I apologize for this long message -but, this is something that we are
dealing with from several angles.

Mark

Mark McFarland
Digital Library Services