Re: Legal signatures ramifications

This deals with the message about scanning of contracts:

In my opinion, this is a problem of the transition from paper to
electronic commerce. But, it points up the problems you face if you do not
embrace the electronic world completely. By scanning the documents instead
of creating and using them in the full electronic text versions you get
the worst of both worlds. You lose the difficulty of altering paper, and
the copies you make widely available are non-secure.

The solution is to work completely electronically, use one of a number of
security packages which prevent alteration, and depend upon digital
signatures. Then everything can be securely online, alterations are much
more difficult than they would be on paper, and the signatures are more
secure than a person's handwritten scribble.

I suppose the problem is that the legal system has not caught up to
technology, so that digital signatures are not yet legally binding. What's
worse is that the offices of both the buyers and the sellers have probably
not caught up with technology either. So you are left with trying to
squeeze the old paper-oriented procedures into some sort of unsatisfactory
electronic form. In the long run should be trying to revise your
procedures so you can use the electronic tools effectively. This
undoubtedly means changing your procedures significantly -- not an easy
task unless all the users needs are considered during the development of a
new system. But, doing it well will yield great savings of time and
effort.

However, this does not solve the immediate problem. I'll be interested to
see if any good transition strategies have been found.

Cheers,
Peter B. Boyce    -   Senior Consultant for Electronic Publishing, AAS
email: pboyce@aas.org
Summer address:                                Winter: 4109 Emery Place,
33 York St., Nantucket, MA 02554        Washington, DC 20016
Phone:  508-228-9062                           202-244-2473