Re: Antw: Comparing Publishers, was: Re: Cambridge JournalsOnline

Dr. Picerno, Thanks for your reply. Your opinions as well as those of
others will help form new subscription models. FYI, Karger offers
perpetual access to titles during the years to which they were subscribed.
As with print journals, archiving electronic journals is really up to the
institution. I realize that establishing an e-archive will come at
considerable cost. Consortia seem to be a realistic platform for the
establishment of e-archives. Would you agree? In terms of licensing, we
treat online journals no differently than print journals for the purposes
of ILL and archiving. Karger has been around for 110 years. But if it
should cease to exist, the OCLC has e-archiving rights to our titles as
well as any institution that subscribes to our online titles. Given the
above factors, would "online only" be an attractive option for you?

Sharon Mattern Buettiker,
Internet Services Department
S. Karger AG
Allschwilerstrasse 10
CH-4009 Basel Switzerland

E-mail: s.mattern@karger.ch
Website: http://www.karger.com
Telephone: +41-61-306-1350
Fax: +41-61-306-1234

>>> <ppicerno@choctaw.astate.edu> 03.02.2000 05:00:51 >>>
As one who works at a small-to-medium academic library without a lot of $$
and with the prospect of a static budget, I would like to respond to parts
of your question:

> 2. How do you rate the following options?
>  -print with a small, supplemental online fee (Karger's current
> policy)

REPLY:  we can't afford this and would not spend the extra $$ for online
access

> -print only - (resp.) that is status quo
> -online only - (resp.) that is a favored option depending upon
> archiving, perpetual access, and the type of license available
> -online with a surcharge for multiple simulataneous users -

REPLY:  not a real option for us because of distance learners who need
remote authentication

> 3. If given the option of online only (which some publishers offer), would
> you rush to convert all of your subscriptions or does the hard copy
> still play a vital role?

REPLY:  We would not "rush" to convert all our subscriptions to online --
the hard copies are still important, especially since accessibility,
archiving, perpetual access to subscribed information, and corporate
stability are still questions which are far from resolved!

P Picerno
Dr. Peter V. Picerno
Collection Development Team Leader
Dean B. Ellis Library