Re: Rational and irrational economics, was , Elsevier ...

David

I found almost everything you say rings true.  But this argument of
'staying within budget' and 'spending up to budget' is so common - on both
sides of the Atlantic and in all types of library - that it needs to be
challenged.  In the short term and at the tactical level there is no
denying its strength.  But librarians do not need to ignore the strategic
and longer term - where their institutions deserve their expert advice on
the level and type of resources the organisation requires.  The true
objective must be to provide resources at the best value level - and this
may imply higher or lower budgets than set by historical precedent.

In the context of this discussion the objective should be use electronic
networking developments to achieve better value for our users.  It is
common ground that this is likely to imply quick and convenient access to
high quality and popular journals and less expensive and less convenient
access to fringe titles.  But there is on the horizon the possibility of a
massive extension of journal readership through easier access - most
obviously to scholars in adjacent specialities and easier more fruitful
browsing.  There must also be prospects for retrieving abstracts and full
text in the same operation.  But there is also the possibility that new
scenarios will deliver greater value at lower cost - and that has to be
explored too.

These potential advantages would represent a revolution in improving
access to information similar to what happened in the last century with
the change to open access shelves and to automated catalogue records -
still far from universal on the world scene.  Such benefits are not easy
to measure - but the advantages are obvious to enlightend top people.  It
is a vital part of our job to tell them what developments they should
support and what changes in resources are needed.  That should not be
taken as given - or as the starting point.

Where would we be with Computer Services departments that limited
themselves to what was their annual budget in 1980?

It is only a small part of your argument.  But I felt moved to write
because too many top librarians in both public, academic and national
libraries are tempted - at least on paper - to opt out of the vital step
of telling their organisations what resources they need to deliver a best
value and modern service.  And too many performance measurement texts say
the same.  I suspect, however, that it is the 'theology' that is defective
rather than the practice!

John Sumsion - Senior Fellow
Department of Information Science,
Loughborough University