Re: Elsevier Web Editions license

We are looking at a state-wide license which would enable participating
libraries access to ALL of the elsevier titles.  The primary stipulation
is that each library not reduce its subscriptions (or at least the amount
we spend on subs.)of Elsevier titles.  We would agree to up to 7.5%
increase in journal costs per year plus a 7.5% platform (or some such)
fee.  In other words, for an extra 15% of our current costs, we'd get ALL
of their titles online.  It sounds like the best deal from Elsevier I've
yet to see. This does not cancel the company's long-standing price
"gouging" reputation but it does show that they're beginning to wake up
and smell the coffee about the reality of life in libraries today.  The
rate of Elsevier title cancellations has been huge in recent years, a
trend that would almost certainly continue until it got to such a point
that they would have to raise prices so astronomically that NOBODY could
afford them.  Then it would be good-bye Elsevier.

As part of our license, and we are all in agreement about this,
campus-wide access is mandatory as is access by our users at some of our
other university sites - our hospitals, nursing school (of campus), etc.
All of our users have to log-in with id's to access any of our resources.
This would also enable us to use a proxy server to be able to authenticate
even off-campus authorized users.

If we sign on the dotted line these access questions would have to be
completely resolved to our satisfaction.

Thomas Williams, Director
Charles M. Baugh Biomedical Library and Media
 Production Services
University of South Alabama			twilliam@jaguar1.usouthal.edu
College of Medicine				http://southmed.usouthal.edu
BML 326B