Re: PEAK followup

The data collection and service phase of PEAK ended in August
1999.  In that first 2-year phase, 12 institutions participated
in a field trial of different pricing models for electronic
journals and had access to Michigan's host site for over 1100
Elsevier journals.  Since August, the project team has been
engaged in data analysis.  Papers reporting on early stages of
data analysis are posted on the project site:
http://www.lib.umich.edu/libhome/peak/

As a final element in the effort, the University of Michigan,
Elsevier Science, and the Council on Library and Information
Resources are sponsoring a conference-The Economics and Use of
Digital Collections-- to be held March 23-24 in Ann Arbor.  The
conference will bring together librarians, research scholars, and
publishers.  Further results of PEAK will be presented at the
conference.

We are hosting this conference to bring together leading thinkers
and practitioners in the global scholarly publishing community
with an objective is to share recent research on the economics
and usage of digital publications. Although our emphasis is on
scholarly publishing, many of the important ideas and results on
publishing in the digital world may be drawn from, or applicable
to, other types of publishing as well.

Registration is still open for the conference and we invite
liblicense participants to consider attending or presenting at
this event (although review of submissions is underway, it is
still possible to submit).

Wendy P. Lougee
PEAK Project Director and
Associate Director, University of Michigan University Library

--
Wendy P. Lougee
Associate Director for Digital Library Initiatives