BMJ Biomedical Preprint Site Announced

News from the British Medical Journal and HighWire Press
See:  http://clinmed.netprints.org/home.dtl

Also, for the statement below:
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/319/7224/1515

DECEMBER 11, 1999

Netprints: the next phase in the evolution of biomedical publishing
Will allow researchers to share their findings in full, for free, and fast

This week we launch clinmed.netprints.org, an electronic archive where
authors can post their research into clinical medicine and health before,
during, or after peer review by other agencies. Resulting from a
collaboration between the BMJ Publishing Group and Stanford University
Libraries, it will allow researchers to share their findings in full, for
free, and as soon as their studies are complete.

Articles will be screened for breaches of confidentiality and libel before
we post them. After posting authors may submit them to any peer reviewed
journal that will accept submissions that have appeared as electronic
preprints. The list of such journals extends far beyond those of the BMJ
Publishing Group and is growing daily (see box). Researchers who have
retained the right to post their research results after publication in a
peer reviewed journal can archive their articles here rather than on
possibly more ephemeral institutional or personal websites.

With at least 20 000 websites devoted to health and medicine why start
another one? Arguments for and against electronic preprints have been
rehearsed several times in the pages of this journal and on our
website.  In brief, we see electronic publication of a completed study
before peer review as analogous to the presentation of results at a
meeting, an important part of the scientific process. Not everybody can
travel to scientific meetings, but most researchers have access to the
world wide web. Often the eventual publication has benefited as much from
feedback received at meetings as it has from conventional peer review. We
will therefore be providing facilities for direct reader feedback
(familiar to anyone who has seen the rapid response feature on the BMJ's
website). In many ways the BMJ's new netprint server (covering both
electronic preprints and electronic reprints) is more evolutionary than
revolutionary because we have always regarded publication in the paper
journal as not the end but rather only part of the peer review process.
Every editor has seen published studies destroyed in the correspondence
columns.

The arrival of the world wide web has given us the chance to rethink the
trade offs that have traditionally been made in scientific publication.
Previously, we have accepted that the benefits of quality control have
outweighed its costs. These include the long delays between the completion
of research and its publication, the random scattering of articles on