ALPSP model Grant of License--syntax

A brief comment on the intended text of the model as it stands, without
yet getting into the content:  in the paragraph below the colon is used in
a way that usually in English signifies apposition.  Thus the sentence as
it stands says (to me) that the internal education uses, mounting on local
website, basis of own publications, etc. *are* in conflict with the
commercial business interests of the publisher.

If the "as follows" was intended to deal with this, then the construction
is inconsistent, for the listed items are explicit and the "as long as"
phrase becomes redundant and contradictory.

Even if my grammatical interpretations are wrong, I suggest recasting the
phraseology.

--
Peter Graham    Syracuse University Library    psgraham@syr.edu
Syracuse NY 13244-2010 315/443-5530 fax 315/443-2060 11/99nw4.4

Ann Okerson wrote:

> Sally Morris, Secretary-General of ALPSP, sends the following message:

[....]